In September of 1959 the Litchfield County Fire Chiefs Emergency Plan, Inc. voted to build a training school.  A site in the Burrville section of Torrington was chosen.  In January of 1960, President Horace Squires, appointed a Building Committee of William Canty, Chairman, John Noble, John Mullen, John Gibb, Leslie Kilmer, Allen Bowkett, and August Mahieu.  Through the efforts of this committee along with many others, the training school was dedicated on September 3, 1961.  William Canty was named the Director of the school and the first course was conducted in May of 1962.  Chief Frank Yanok of Torrington conducted classes for many years and also began the task of training more instructors so that the school’s curriculum could be expanded.

The original classroom building has been added on to several times.  It now has two classrooms, and an auxiliary classroom, instructor prep room, office, equipment room, kitchen, furnace room, generator room, and a couple of storage rooms.

             The original smoke house was converted to an oil pump house and then eventually torn down when the school stopped using oil for training fires.  The present smoke house has a basement, first floor, second floor, and attic.  The attic contains a maze for SCBA training.  Burning is now limited to the basement and first floor areas.

             The original tower is still used today, although another floor has been added.  Many older firefighters can remember jumping from the tower into a life net.  This has not been done for over a decade because of safety concerns.

             The Fire School is managed by the Litchfield County Fire Chiefs Emergency Plan, Inc. (Exempt Organization, 501 (C) (3)) through its’ School Committee.  A school director is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the school.  An assistant school director is responsible for course curriculum and instructor development.  Instructors hired by the school are all certified by the State of Connecticut.